Thursday, February 11, 2010

Is Kwik411 even necessary?

I have my doubts about the usefulness of this tool, and if there's any easier way to do it. The cost to set one up right now is one Google Voice account, and half an hour of your time.

The idea came about during John Doe's "arraignment" when we were lied to about which courtroom he was in. It's clear bureaucrats aren't going to tell the truth, so we've got to have someone in each courtroom ready to alert others. SMS is the way to go with this. My doubt is that it's really necessary to set-up this network and not just know who's in other courtrooms and text them directly.

The idea of an SMS based Porc411 has come up in conversations with people who, like myself, don't have a Smartphone. In fact my phone is almost functionally retarded. I've set myself and others up to get Porc411s via Twitter and it works out nicely. First off, I'll get a text saying that there's a new 411. Then, later, I'll get a transcribed summary of the 411. This shows demand for Porc infomation via SMS.

New 411 services are certainly not intended to replace Porc411. Since it's pretty much free, I figure it will allow for more localized 411ing. Please, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment